After letting the author know that the download link to his software wasn't working, I dove in. The homepage for this project lets you know that there is some makefile tweaking involved. First thing I had to sort out was that I have a Boarduino equipped with an Atmega 328P and not an Arduino with an Atmega 168. The file config-arduino.mk has a line with
but I figured that would just affect the compilation and I'd be OK to leave this as is. The difference between the two is just memory size: the pinouts are the same. So then I did
make BOARD=ARDUINO clean
which went fine, but
cc1: error: invalid parameter 'inline-call-cost'
Hmmmm. Looks like the version of avr-gcc in arch linux doesn't have this parameter so I had to comment that CFLAG out of Makefile. Everything compiled nicely after that.
Next, I didn't want to load up the Arduino IDE, preferring instead to program the chip from the command line. I have a Sparkfun FTDI breakout board, so I needed to get Linux talking to this thing. Let's plug it in and see if Linux sees it?
usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
usb 3-1: Detected FT232RL
usb 3-1: Number of endpoints 2
usb 3-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 3-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 3-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio: v1.6.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
So far, so good. But I went down many blind alleys after this. First, because I am using this FTDI serial converter, I thought I needed to install the Arch Linux libftdi package. Turns out I don't. Second, a lot of stuff I read seemed to indicate that if I wanted to do this from the command line, I needed a patched version of avrdude (see here). Turns out I don't. Basically, with the Sparkfun FTDI board, you can tell avrdude that you are using the stk500v1 programmer. But, the Sparkfun board adds some special sauce: it brings out DTR on Pin 6 of the header to reset the board. We need to tell this to avrdude. So the config file for the stk500v1 programmer ends up looking like this in /etc/avrdude.conf (note the last line)
id = "stk500v1";
desc = "Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware";
type = stk500;
reset = 6;
Now let's see if this works. As root, do
# avrdude -C /etc/avrdude.conf -c stk500v1 -p m328p -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U hfuse:r:-:h -b 57600
This harmless command tells avrdude to read the setting of the hfuse on the micro. Note some very important things here:
- I am using -p m328p here because my Boarduino has an Atmega 328P rather than the 168 in many Arduinos.
- I am using -P /dev/ttyUSB0 because that is what dmesg told me was being used.
- I am using -b 57600 to lower the baud rate from the default. I WASTED SEVERAL FRUSTRATING HOURS ON THIS. Go too fast and avrdude comes back with the very unhelpful 'avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding'. Your mileage wil vary depending on the speed of your processor. If you get this dreaded message, try slowing things down even further.
PROGRAM_CMD=avrdude -C /etc/avrdude.conf -pm328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:$(TARGET).hex
I've taken the spaces out between the command line arguments as avrdude doesn't seem to care either way. Now, all it takes as root is
# make BOARD=ARDUINO program
to load the Bus Ninja code into the Arduino. YES! Stay tuned for next time when I'll try messing with the Bus Ninja program itself.