Monday, June 21, 2010

Food page up

I've started a food page to collect some Sous Vide stuff I've been playing with. This is a method of cooking where you put food in a plastic bag, suck the air out, and cook it in a carefully regulated temperature bath. I've had a few phenomenal meals out of the rig I built so far, with the best by far being a batch of ribs I cooked for 72 (!) hours.

A lot of people consider cooking to be an art. I disagree: it is a science. Guys like Alton Brown and Heston Blumenthal have got it right. If you know how food works and you've got the right gear, you're golden. The interesting thing is that you usually don't need to spend big bucks on the gear. A few years ago, a proper Sous Vide setup ran you into the thousands. Now you can buy a controller that runs a slow cooker or rice cooker for less than a couple hundred. My DIY box was maybe $60 or $70.

Expect me to beef up (HA!) the food page in the near future with more on the design, useful links, etc.

1 comment: